Ok to Cry

 How often do you cry?

Crying doesn’t follow a schedule. Sometimes it will hit me out of nowhere, suddenly something will cause my chest to feel tight and my eyes to start stinging. Other times it will build up slowly. I won’t notice the pressure until it finally spills over. 

When I was little, I cried all the time over anything. If something didn’t go my way, or if I didn't get what I wanted I would cry. It helped that I had an older sister who would baby me no matter what, so I knew that crying worked. My parents would also usually give in, and crying kind of became my default reaction. As I got older, that changed. Crying started to make me feel weak, dramatic, or that I couldn’t handle things.

I have always been a sensitive person. I overthink small reactions and moments that other people brush off. I notice tones in voices and faces and take them personally. I remember one time in middle school, I was sitting at lunch with my friends, and one of them told me to move so her other friend could sit down. She said, “Don’t be a brat, Shreya, just move.” It wasn’t even that serious. The second she said it, my eyes filled up immediately, and before I could stop it, I was crying in front of everyone. Once I start crying, I can’t stop.

Everyone at the table noticed, which made it so much worse. People kept asking if I was okay, and that just made me cry harder. When I finally tried to explain why I was upset, I thought people would understand. Instead, people said, “She didn’t mean it like that,” and “You’re overreacting.” I was so embarrassed. Why did I cry over something so small?

That moment stuck with me. I didn’t want to be the person who cried over everything or that was too sensitive. After that, I don’t think I cried in public again in middle school. Even when I felt it building up, I would just swallow it, blink it away, and distract myself.

I remember going to my friend’s graduation last year. I knew she was leaving, and I knew I was going to miss her a lot, so I expected to cry. Everyone around me was emotional, hugging, tearing up, but I just stood there with no tears. I felt sad, but it was like there was a wall blocking everything from coming out. That scared me more than crying ever did because I felt empty.

I realized that pushing feelings down doesn't make them disappear. It just builds up. I would go all day holding everything in, acting like I was fine, and then the second something small happened at home (parents yelling, school stress, etc.), I would completely break down. It wasn't because of the trigger, it just let out the emotions that have been building up for a while. Not just crying, but also not being able to breathe, and my face swollen from crying for so long. My parents would call them panic attacks.

At the same time, after it was over, I would feel lighter and freer. Crying can feel embarrassing, especially in public. It can feel that you have lost control, or you are exposing too much of yourself. However it is also one of the most natural ways your body deals with emotions. For a long time, I tried to put crying into a box. I would try to only cry at the right times, in the right places, and for the right reasons. 

I am still figuring it out. I don’t cry as easily in public anymore, but I am also trying to let myself feel things when they happen instead of saving it all for later because holding everything in just makes it heavier.


Comments

  1. Hi Shreya, I think you did a great job being vulnerable and open, traits of a great personal essayist! I definitely relate to the inner conflict of crying, how it can be so overwhelming and sometimes seem embarrassing, but it can also be very healthy for you. I remember reading in a Weird But True book a while back that crying can be biologically beneficial because the tears carry stress hormones, so you are literally getting rid of stress.
    One thing that stood out to me a bit was when you sort of introduce a new topic of panic attacks near the end. I was wondering if there would be more you could expand on that with because it kind of shifts the story from psychological/emotional struggles to actual physical attacks. Or if you think it might distract from your main story then I think it could be cut as well.
    Also at the end I like the way you describe feeling lighter and also trying "to put crying into a box." Overall, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shreya! I really resonated with your blog because you were very honest with how you explained your "problem with crying". I loved how you started your blog with an exposition for why you used to cry a lot. I loved it because it connected to your story about the time you cried in middle school over a request that "wasn't mean". The essay then goes onto the reflection which worked well because you drove it into the conclusion and came to the result that crying is very important because it lets out emotions. I agree that I myself do not try to cry in public as I'm afraid I'll be embarrassed or sensitive (which I admit I am sensitive to how people perceive me). However, I like how you explained that it allows us to express our emotions which is just a natural human desire, no one can truly suppress their feelings forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shreya! It's really cool how you're being open with this blog post and it definitely builds trust with the reader, as well as allowing them to relate in various ways. I wrote about the same prompt and I can definitely relate to a lot of things you talked about. One thing that stood out to me in particular is how you touched on the vacancy you felt during your friend's graduation. I've also felt that before and I think it's revealing of another consequence of holding back your emotions. If you push down the way you feel too much then eventually you'll stop feeling at all and you'll just be numb, which is definitely scary since we don't want to stop expressing ourselves to yourself and also friends and family. The embarrassment aspect is an interesting one and you've talked about how you're pushing towards not stopping yourself from crying, so maybe you can also talk about your growth in terms of facing embarrassment and how you deal with that or hope to deal with it in the future? Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This essay does a very nice job of demonstrating Lopate's whole vulnerability spiel. I really liked the flow between storytelling and how it shaped your overall feelings about crying in public. You also made a great point about how much worse it is to hold in all your emotions rather than let them out naturally. What stood out most to me, however, was the section about crying being caused by a bunch of small triggers and then spilling over the brim. A lot of people subscribe to the belief that big events lead to big tears, and while this is true in some cases, a lot more grief comes from a lot of small inconveniences that have stacked up over time. As a result, I think the last line in your essay is very strong note to end it off on, as you acknowledge that you are now in the state of "correcting an overcorrection."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shreya! This is a really cool blog post that you have here, I'm glad that you were able to write about this. I really love how you introduce your essay, as it seems very real and down to earth. Oh my gosh that scenario in paragraph 3 happened to me as well, what a coincidence. I do agree with your analysis of how crying in this day and age doesnt generally come out of a huge multifaceted event, it comes out of small little things that build up throughout the day, and before you know it you're sobbing over seemingly nothing. Overall I think that it's a great essay that you have here, and I don't have much constructive feedback as it already sounds so good!
    -Ana Artz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight of Perfectionism

Something I Used to Love

My American Dream