My American Dream

 What does the American Dream mean to you?

The American Dream is the idea that through hard work and determination, anyone can achieve success, regardless of where they come from.

When I was younger, my dad used to talk about the American Dream and how it came true for our family. My dad was born in Sri Lanka and moved to Nigeria as a refugee because of the civil war in his country. He told me stories of how when he was a boy he used to write in a diary everyday “I will go to America.” To him it was a land of opportunity that felt very far away. My mom was also from a small town in India. Both of them were able to come to the U.S. for better opportunities and education, and now live a better life because of years of hard work and sacrifice.

My dad loved America and was the example of a true patriot, saying he was America’s “biggest fan.” I took after this, and whenever people would dispute the American Dream or criticize America, I would defend my country. I was shocked when my English teacher in middle school said the American Dream “didn’t exist.” Growing up hearing the dream play out for my parents and much of my extended family made it hard for me to see how it didn’t exist. America gave them a home, opportunities, and a much better life. 

I would always counter people’s arguments about how they would want to move out of the country after decisions made by our administration by saying, “Well would you really want to move to a different country? America is the best.” And I believed it. Even if the current administration made decisions I didn’t agree with, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. 

People who have lived in America their whole life have the privilege to criticize it, but it is important to recognize the countless people who would do anything to be here.  Some can’t go to school, some live under oppressive governments, and others live in danger in their home country because of war and violence. Millions dream of the American Dream for the freedom to make personal life choices, pursue a chosen path, and live without restriction. However, as I started hearing more stories about the real story of immigration, I realized that not everyone’s journey or outcome looked like my parents’. That realization stuck with me, and made me confront my family’s privilege to have those opportunities.

I learned about so many immigrants who came here facing terrible adversities just to arrive. Even after all that effort and hard work, they still struggled to achieve the dream that brought them here in the first place. Systems in our country have made it harder for certain groups, or even pushed them out of the country, going against our principles. Learning about these experiences made me question what the American Dream actually means. I wondered: were my parents just lucky, or were they part of a version of the dream that not everyone gets the same chance at?

Reading the “American Like Me” story showed how loving a country means recognizing its shortcomings too. Loving something means wanting it to grow and improve. Today, some of the current administration’s policies and discussions about increasing ICE’s power and tightening immigration policies feel disheartening to me, especially because America is a country built by immigrants. Some people might say “love it or leave it,” (and maybe I was once that person), but now I know that loving a country means working to make it better, not ignoring its problems. I can still love America while believing that we need to protect the opportunities that brought families like mine here in the first place.

The American Dream is not perfect at all, and it isn’t guaranteed, but maybe it is still something worth believing in and improving for the generations that come after us.


Comments

  1. Hey Shreya! This was really interesting to read and seeing a different perspective on America from someone else from an immigrant family is definitely beneficial. One thing to note is that many people criticize the American Dream not because it doesn't bring opportunities, but because it's very selective on who can achieve the dream. You do go over it but I feel like you can go more in depth into that idea. I think you have a good balance of reflection and story telling, and you offer many different approaches to your view of the American Dream. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shreya, I really enjoyed reading this! I see so many connections with "American Like Me" and it was interesting to learn about how your ideas of America changed throughout the course of your life as your matured as a person. I especially like your moment of self-reflection where you wonder if your original model of the "American Dream" was legitimate, or if you had been mistaken. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is relatable and well-developed, especially in how it balances personal experience with a broader perspective on the American Dream. Personally, I am an immigrant myself and my family traveled to the US for better opportunities. I think your family story is compelling and adds emotional weight, while the shift from strong belief to a more nuanced understanding shows real intellectual growth. The reflection on loving a country while recognizing its flaws is particularly mature and impactful. I think what could help your essay maybe minimizing repetition, primarily around the American Dream. making it more direct and clear would make the argument feel sharper and allow the key insights to stand out more clearly. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,

    I think this essay talks about a very meaningful subject in a very respectful manner. I really liked hearing about your perspective on the American dream and the story that led to you having that perspective. I think a lot of things you wrote here show that you really put your heart into this essay. I agree that we need to recognize that America is a place that many people dream of coming to, not just because we need to realize that it's a place worth loving, but also because we need to make it a place those people really can come to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight of Perfectionism

Something I Used to Love