Something I Used to Love

Have you ever felt embarrassed by the things that you used to like?

I was in fifth grade when I discovered the book series that would take over my life at the time. I am already cringing just writing this, but it felt like an experience worth sharing.

The series was Keeper of the Lost Cities, and I didn’t find it myself. My sister and her best friend were obsessed with it and would talk about it all the time. They would discuss characters, plot twists, and things that made no sense to me at the time. I wasn’t a huge reader back then. I read Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, but other than that, I mostly stuck to graphic novels or easy books like Dork Diaries. So when they handed me a book that was over 600 pages long, I couldn’t believe it. No way was I ever reading that huge book.


Eventually I gave in and read the first page, and suddenly I was on chapter five and couldn’t put it down. I started reading everywhere, before school, after school, and even during dinner, which my parents were not that happy about. The world felt so real, and I cared way too much about fictional people. I even convinced my best friend at the time to read it too, which made everything worse (or maybe better?). We talked about the series all the time, like my older sister and her friend did. We would talk about favorite characters, least favorite characters, plot ideas, and obviously ships. Looking back, it’s kind of funny, but at the time it felt very important.


When new books came out later and we were older, I was still excited but my best friend wasn’t. She said the books were lame and boring now, and suddenly it felt like I was the only one left holding onto something everyone else had outgrown. Even people in my grade would make fun of me and tell me that it was way too young for me (I was in sixth grade at the time). That should’ve been my warning sign to quietly move on. As I got older, I did realize the plot started going in circles, and some of the newer books felt stretched out and unnecessary. But part of me just didn’t want to let go. The series wasn’t over yet, and I needed to know what happened. 


When I preordered the newest book at the time, it came with a pretty poster with two of my favorite characters. I liked it, so not thinking too much about it, I hung up the small paper in my room along with all my artwork. It got bad when friends came over and saw the poster. When my friends made fun of it, I laughed along like I didn’t care, but the second they left, I took it down. I didn’t want anyone to see that part of me anymore.


Yes, I was embarrassed, but I was also a kid who loved a book series enough to let it reflect in my life and shared it to the people I loved. Writing this made me realize how much of that version of me I have lost over time, and I sometimes miss that version of me. As I got older, I became more and more aware of the things I liked and how they looked to other people. I started paying attention to what was “acceptable”/trendy to enjoy and what wasn’t. If something wasn’t popular, I usually avoided it. Liking things started being more about fitting in. In trying so hard not to stand out, I think I also lost some of the passions that made me feel unique in the first place. It feels like we all change parts of ourselves until we start to look and sound the same. I have come to realize that maybe growing up doesn't mean we have to abandon those (maybe more “childish”) parts of ourselves completely. 


After reading today’s essay in class I realized that I may have too much narrative and not enough reflection. I also had to cut some paragraphs, so the ending may be too short and could sound incomplete. What do you guys think? Please let me know if you have any feedback!


Comments


  1. Hi Shreya, I loved reading this blog! I think it captured the genuine love and excitement you had for Keeper of the Lost Cities as a child, really well. I can definitely relate to having a book series take over your life and become a sort of fun escape from reality that ends up sort of merging with your real life because of how invested you are. I also think demonstrating your evolved personality, looking back on it, and kind of cringing, but also recognizing that you may have lost some of your “uniqueness” in wanting to fit in, was a humble choice that showed your honesty and vulnerability as an author. I agree with you that it might be helpful to add more reflection, maybe on the note of how this will affect you in the future or help you grow. Because I think you do really well in analyzing your past actions, but it could seem a bit incomplete without further explanation of what you have learned from this. You start doing this in the last sentence, so if you just keep going with that, I think it will be great! Overall, really nice job with this honest, endearing, and relatable story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shreya! Great job on this essay! As someone who used to be a bookworm, your storytelling made it very easy to picture and relate to your story. For more personal reflection, you could talk about what you thought of your sister and her best friend when they stopped becoming obsessed with the series. Or if you've picked up the book after you felt embarrassed about it, you could talk about how it felt to read and your thoughts about quitting. Do you feel nostalgia and excitement from it still or has trying to fit into trends ruined it. The essay we read last Friday (the one about the email) had a lot of general reflections, and I thought you could add that to your essay about how people in general began to like/stop liking things to fit in with other people (which you touch on a little in your last paragraph). Hope to read more essays by you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shreya, this was a really good essay! I think you captured the emotional tone through your words really well, and as I was reading, I sympathized with you a lot. I really appreciate the vulnerability you've expressed through this essay. If you want more personal reflection, I think you can incorporate it while you're talking about the past. For example, when you were talking about your friends teasing you about the poster, you can talk add something like "but now I realized blah blah blah...". You don't have to split your essay into half story and half reflection! Overall, very good essay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight of Perfectionism

My American Dream